Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"...Start from the very beginning - a very good place to start..." -Chapter 1

A dear friend of mine suggested I supply more background stories about my life and my associated adventures. At first I hesitated, as family and friends had probably heard many of my stories before, but then I decided that maybe there are 'stories' of my adventures that are fun to tell again. So hang onto your hats, we are about to begin this journey!

One story that sticks out in my mind is my interview process for the position of secondary school teacher in Australia. After graduation from university, and while trying to pursue a teaching position, I had settled back into life with with Mum and Dad and was filling in time by working as a security guard in a grocery/department chain store (lots of good stories there!) and then later as an all-night check-out chick in the same grocery/department chain store (again more great stories there!) Then one day, my Aunt Kay phoned me at my parents home, with an interesting proposition. She said she had read about teaching positions in Australia, and told me how to find more information regarding this new adventure!

After investigating, I made an application for the position, and was informed that the interviews would be held in Des Moines, Iowa--the State's capital city. I was a bit nervous about the 3-4 hour drive on the icy, snowy freeways to get there, and after arriving tried to give myself enough time to appear relaxed before going into the interview room. I wanted this opportunity, and entered the room with as much bravado as I could muster.

The interviewing session was held in a large room, with 3 separate interview 'stations'. As I entered the room, two other interviews were quietly taking place at the various tables within the room. However, upon entering, I was welcomed by the two panel members at the table in front of me. I settled into discussion with them and then noticed out of the corner of my eye, that the other interviewees were leaving the room. At some stage it became apparent to me that I was just talking in a relaxed manner with all of the interviewers in the room. The previous interviewers/panel members had settled into my interview station, dragging over chairs to sit down. We talked for a very long time, and the Australian representatives kept stating that with my blond hair and fair skin I would need to be cautious, and aware of sun damage. We discussed living conditions, and what I could expect. As the afternoon was drawing to a wintery close, and the sunlight was disappearing, we all shook hands, and I walked out of the room fully aware in my heart of hearts that I had been approved for this new adventure. It was a wonderful feeling--somewhat scary due to the unknown, but awe-inspiring at the same time. I danced and laughed all the way to my car--I was on my way to Australia!

No comments: